Since the inaugural Eye on Earth Summit (EoE) in 2011, the EoE initiative strives to facilitate a broad stakeholder engagement process that is regionally relevant and convenes, converges and collaborates around this common agenda to deliver collective impact.
The second EoE Summit was held in Abu Dhabi, UAE in early October 2015.
Facilitated by AGEDI in support of the Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi in partnership with the United Nations Environment Programme, the summit focused on:
- Showcasing the impact of progress from the EoE 2011 commitments
- Demonstrating the EoE role in the post Rio+20 process, particularly in promoting Principle 10
- Supporting the data and information gaps of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Networking and the exchange of ideas, innovation and knowledge (citizen science, launching projects and issues)
- Commitment to action
- The Eye on Earth Alliance formalised its governance framework and established the Eye on Earth Secretariat.
- An Agreement was reached to work towards a global coalition of citizen science groups in recognition of the increasingly important role citizen science will play in reporting against SDGs.
- An Action Oriented Statement on Capacity Building for reporting against SDGs was produced.
- An Action Oriented Statement on Policy-makers data needs was produced.
- An Action Oriented Statement on Harnessing the Data Revolution was produced.
To learn more about the Summit’s highlights, download the Executive Report here.
For further details and the developments stemming from the EoE Summit 2015, visit the summit website.